Monday, June 11, 2012

You Are Not Alone

      Do you ever have a day when you think you aren't gonna beat this? THIS... the special needs life. The overwhelming and never ending appointments, phone calls, paperwork, meetings. That's not even the 'real' work. Let us not forget the little kiddo who holds our Momma's heart. The one that we attempt to move heaven and earth for!!!!
     I truly try to be an optimistic person. I attempt to see things from multiple points of view. But there are some days that I really want to let people have it! For example, the ladies who stare at my child in the store while my girl is experiencing a sensory meltdown or the insurance company that loses my documents and acts like its an inconvenience to wait on ME to send it again. Let's not forget the school administrators who don't even have kids, let alone deal with the special needs kiddos, IEP's, ETR's..... and should be removed from their position. Am I the only one who has family members that are positive they can handle the entire situation better and are waiting for you to screw up bad enough that they may actually get a shot? Today is one of those days....don't you dare cross me.
    I don't want this post to be 'Oh poor pitiful me'. I want this 'therapy writing' of mine to let you know that you aren't alone on this journey. When you feel like you are isolated, tired, and have no more to give, remember there is a sisterhood all over the world fighting tooth and nail to make sure that their child is receiving the best possible care. When you are up in the middle of the night, contemplating another ER run and dreading that you won't get the treatment needed, you are not alone. The next time you get punched in the gut with another impending diagnosis, treatment, or daily living adjustment, you are not alone. When you head to the shower for the first time in 3 days only to melt into a puddle of tears, you are not alone.
   I know I may catch some grief about 'Well at least your child is still living'. Yes. I am very grateful to be able to hold my 'Boo' everyday. But I am being honest. Being a Momma is just about the hardest job out there...if not the hardest. You add special needs to the mix and let me tell you, there is never a moment when your mind stops. That continual mindset will wear your body down. I am so weary of people looking at our community and telling us to suck it up! Really? We are not complaining. We are simply stating that this is hard and we are imperfect. As much as we would like to think we are 'SuperMomma's'....(and we are to an extent)... we aren't invincible. We need help. We need support. We need to know that we aren't alone.
   I wish I could look each of you in the eye and tell you 'YOU ARE NOT ALONE'. As you walk this path, keep your chin up, and don't be afraid to admit the truth...whatever that is. Today, it may be that you need help with certain tasks. Tomorrow,  you may need to look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are doing a great job. Whatever the day brings, I encourage you to send this message to each fellow SN Momma you know :

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Wishing you a moment of peace as you read this and the knowledge that a heart beats the same as yours, in this sisterhood 'Created BEAUTIFULLY Special'.


5 comments:

  1. WOW! I don't think that this could have hit home anymore than it does tonight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs Momma Cori. You are not alone. We are in this together. Blessings, Prayers, and Love sent your way<3

      Delete
  2. Ok, so are you writing this for me? Lol, you have so deeply penetrated my soul with your writing! I have held off discussions such as this on my blog because I dont want pity... But the more I read the more I want to share! As a special needs mommy for almost 16 years, I always knew I wasnt alone yet laid my head on the pillow each night feeling so very isolated. I have experienced each and every emotion you describe and I thank you with all of my heart. God has truly opened a huge for for me these past 2 days as I've met some truly awesome moms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled across your blog - You have no idea the impact and support I feel just reading your blog. My daughter was just recently diagnosed with ASD and the stares, endless paperwork, and therapies are a lot. But knowing that there are other moms out there that know just what we are going through helps. :) Keep writing, I have bookedmarked your blog and will continue to come back and read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad both of you Momma's are here!! We need this support. Hugs to both of you!

    ReplyDelete